Who Moved my Cheese by Spencer Johnson is the book I just finished. I loved it and I totally recommend it to anyone, especially going through big changes in your life right now. I don't recommend reading it when you are hungry though.
- "Cheese" is a metaphor for what you want to have in life - whether it is a good job, a loving relationship, money, a possession, health, or spiritual peace of mind.
- "The Maze" is where you look for what you want - the organization you work in, or the family or community you live in.
- "The Mice" - Sniff (Who sniffs out change early), Scurry (Who scurries in action)
- "The Little People" - Hem (Who denies and resists change as he fears it will lead to something worse, Haw (Who learns to adapt in time when he changing leads to something better
- We all have one thing in common, we must all survive in changing times. The world around us is always changing.
- The more important your "cheese" is to you, the more you want to hold on to it.
- Sometimes fear can be good. When you are afraid things are going to get worse if you don't do something, it can prompt you into action. But it's not good if it paralizes so much that you can't do anything.
- "Movement in any direction, helps you find more "cheese."
- Haw: "He was letting go and trusting what lay ahead for him, even though he did not know exactly what it was."
- "When you move beyond your fear, you feel free."
- Imagining myself enjoying "new cheese" even before I find it, can lead me to it.
- Think about what you can gain, instead of what you are losing.
- Realizing that you are not living in fear, but instead you are taking a new direction can lead to new strength.
- Change is natural, whether you expect it or not. Change can surprise you only if you didn't expect it and weren't looking for it.
- Haw: "He had to admit that the biggest inhibitor to change lies within himself, and that nothing gets better until you change.
- Fear should be respected because sometimes it keeps you out of danger. But most fears are irrational and keep you from making the changes you need to make.
Change Happens: They keep moving the Cheese
Anticipate Change: Get ready for the Cheese to move
Monitor Change: Smell the Cheese often so you know when it is getting old
Adapt to Change Quickly: The quicker you let go of old Cheese, the sooner you can enjoy new Cheese.
Change: Move with the Cheese
Enjoy Change: Savor the adventure and enjoy the taste of new Cheese
Be Ready to Change Quickly and Enjoy It Again and Again: They keep moving the Cheese
Which character are you?