Quote

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
~Isaiah 6:8 NIV
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
~Micah 6:8 NASB

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Philippians 3:14 - Pressing on Toward the Goal


I'm co-leading an online Bible study with the always amazing, HopingForChange.  I'm really enjoying our study of Philippians.  This is what I posted for the lovely ladies today.

VOTD: Philippians 3:14: “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

QOTD: Paul sees the Christian walk as a race with a prize at the end. He says that he will continue to run the race towards the goal because he believes that God called him. Although we may never achieve perfection in this world, it should still be our goal. What is the prize at the end of the race? I believe that Heaven is the prize at the end. This road we are running on is going to have bumps and detours along the way, no doubt, but ultimately if we stay on the path and press on, then we will win the prize.

1) Do you think to this point you have been giving all your strength to achieve the goal Paul is talking about here? What changes can you make?

I thought that I had been giving all my strength to winning the prize, but this year, I think, have proved that I have a lot of growing to do. I think I had a shallow faith because I never really had any huge hardships. Now, I'm being forced to live out the lessons that I have always taught my students and I'm learning that this journey is really hard. I know the prize is worth it at the end. I just wish the journey wasn't so hard.

I know there are changes I need to make in my life. I need to bring joy back into my life. I used to be known as the encourager and a positive role model. I have let depression rule my attitude for long enough. That needs to change.

2) Why is it important to forget what is behind? How could not forgetting the past hinder future service to God?

I think it's easy to get stuck in the past. I don't ever want to forget our past hurts, but I can learn to let go of the hurt and anger. I think that's part of what Paul was talking about when he said "press on." I don't want to stay here. It's hurts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment