Acts 12: 1-5:
The great gift - seldom used: Prayer.
Can you really say you are satisfied with your prayer life?
Why do we struggle with prayer?
1) We are not convinced that our God is BIG enough to do what He says He will do?
2) We have an over reliance on our own answer (just find the answer in a book).
3) A misunderstanding of spiritual warfare. We are at war every day.
4) We live in a DIY society.
5) We treat prayer as a backup power source.
It's when the experts fail us that we run to prayer.
Acts 12:1 - "It was about this time..." Just when you things are going well, that is when the enemy likes to strike.
The most important decisions of our lives were decided outside of our control (height, birth place, gender, etc). We are not in as much control as we think we are.
We don't like helplessness but we need it in order to prayer.
- Maturity in the faith is not self-reliance. Maturity alerts us to how weak we are. God's power is made real in weakness. (Matthew 8)
- Helpless people regularly take a inventory of their heart. Prayer is a conversation between our hearts to the heart of God.
Don't let distractions defeat you.