Quote

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
~Isaiah 6:8 NIV
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
~Micah 6:8 NASB

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering September 11th

I'm not sure I could tell you exactly what I was doing all day last Tuesday, but I remember exactly where I was and what i was doing that Tuesday morning, September 11th. So much have changed the last 10 years. I watched the news for days straight. My roommate and I left the TV while we went to sleep. We didn't want to miss anything.  The terrorists didn't just knock down some buildings that day. The terrorists didn't have a plan to kill people.  They wanted to destroy our country.  They wanted to make us afraid and vulnerable.  They hate our freedoms.  They tried to destroy our economy and they almost succeeded.  If we, as a nation, continue to live in fear than the terrorists have won.  I believe there is hope that God will restore this country.
I didn't have any classes that semester on Tuesdays, so I was still a sleep. All of a sudden my phone rang twice, but I didn't get to the phone either time. For some reason, I thought that I had better check my voice mails just in case it was important.  My mom said there was a fire in the Trade Center in New York and I should turn on the news.I thought that it was probably just a gas leak or a fire, but when I turned on the news and they said it was a plane, I just knew it had to be an accident. I didn't really know what to think at first. My first thoughts were that some pilot had fallen asleep and got off course and crashed. It seemed so unimaginable that someone would deliberately fly a plane into a building. Then we watched live on TV the second plane hit the second tower. I knew then that it could not have been a mistake.  We really didn't know what to think then. I was afraid for the people in the towers; hoping they would be able to get out of the building. Then we heard about other missing planes and everything seemed to be in chaos.  Then we watched in horror both towers collapse.  It was surreal. I remember watching the towers collapse right before my eyes thinking....there is no way everybody got out of there. When we heard about the other planes crashing, I just watched waiting for something else to happen. I couldn't take my eyes off the TV. I felt like I was watching a movie. It didn't feel real at first. I definitely remember feeling fear.  I kept thinking that i was going to wake up and everything was going to the same. I soon realized that nothing would ever be the same again.

Bethel called a emergency chapel service, so the Bethel community could get together and pray for the people involved. We continued to watch the news on the big screen in chapel and Bethel canceled classes for the rest of the day.  My roommate and I went back our room and sat in our dorm room and watched the news for the rest of the day.  I don't really remember anything else for the rest of day except for sitting in our room watching the news.  I don't even remember eating.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment