Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month
On October 25, 1988, President Ronald Reagan proclaimed that October would be Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.
- Approximately 1 in 4 pregnancies worldwide will end in miscarriage.
- Approximately 75% of all miscarriages occur in the first trimester.
- An estimated 19% of the adult population has experienced the
death of a child (this includes miscarriages through
"When a child loses his parent, they are called an orphan. When a spouse loses her or his partner, they are called a widow or widower. When parents lose their child, there isn’t a word to describe them." - Ronald Reagan
This year, YWCA Week Without Violence is October 14-20, 2012.
- One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
- Historically, females have been most often victimized by someone they knew.
- Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults.
- 30% to 60% of perpetrators of intimate partner violence also abuse children in the household.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month