Quote

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
~Isaiah 6:8 NIV
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
~Micah 6:8 NASB

Saturday, April 21, 2007

My Hero and Mentor: Judy Gregory

I have been attending Granger Community Church since April 1997. I was a sophomore in high school. It was a tough year in my world. I have been a Christian my whole life but I still felt there was something missing in my life. I had no real purpose in life and felt like if I disapearred no one would really care or come looking for me. A few of my friends invited me to a concert at Lifeline (our high school ministry) and I immediately knew there was something different about the people there. There was a sense of community that I had never felt before. I was surprised at how many people I already knew that were there. That was 10 years ago. I have grown and changed alot since that first night. I can't even begin to thank everything that helped bring me to where I am today.
I want to focus my attention on just one: My mentor and hero, Judy Gregory. She reached 10 years on staff of GCC this week, with several more before that. She is the Middle School pastor at GCC. I have been doing ministry along aside her, either as a student or a leader for almost 10 years and I would not change a thing. This year marks my 7th school year as a middle school leader and I was a Lifeline student for 2 1/2. Together, we've done seven mission trips, 8 Acquire the Fires, seven 30 Hour Famines, 5 New Years Eve Bashes, and so much more, either as a student or a leader.

Her love and committment to her students inspire me to a better leader. She is the ultimate encourager. Whenever I am feeling down and feel like I'm not really making a difference with my students, I can count on her to encourage me. Ministry is who she is. I can't imagine anyone else doing her job. She builds her life into her leaders, training them to be everything God wants them to be. She searches and finds the talent in you that you didnt know you had. I am a better leader today because of her leadership. I feel honored that she is going marry me and my fiance in two weeks. I look forward to 10 more years of ministry, even if I have to do them from afar.

Helping Middle School Students Take Their Next Step Towards Christ...Together!

No comments:

Post a Comment