Quote

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
~Isaiah 6:8 NIV
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
~Micah 6:8 NASB

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Bible Study - Grieving God's Way: Wednesday Check-in

Ever since I wrote a message on Facebook looking for study ideas for the Bible study that I help lead, I have had a few friends ask if they could be involved.  We start a new study every week on Wednesday, with a check-in on Wednesday, Friday, then Monday. I'll post the check-ins here, so people outside of our forum can participate if they want to.

Hi ladies,
I got this free book in the mail yesterday called, "Grieving God's Way - The Path to lasting Hope and Healing."  I thought this week, I would share some of it and we could "read" it together.  I pulled out some things to share from what I have read so far.

Study: Grieving God's Way

VOTD: Romans 8:26 - "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness."
Feel free to respond

When a loved one dies, the body reacts with shock.  The circulation slows; we feel cold and disoriented.  Breathing is shallow. After the numbness wears, bones ache and muscles are sore.  Food holds no interest, and though we may fall exhausted into bed each night, we often can't sleep, or we sleep too much.  This is how the body grieves. Grieving God's way requires us to trust that God will lead us through the darkness, heal our pain, take away our weariness, and fill our hearts with hope, peace, and new purpose.

Day 2: "Take a deep breath. If you are grieving a loved one, chances are you haven't taken a breath for quite some time.  The physical and emotional stress of grief can do an enormous amount of harm to the mind and body. We become so caught up in our pain we literally forget to breathe." In both Greek and Hebrew, the word for breath also means spirit.

Studies have shown that deep, slow breathing can strengthen the heart, tone muscles, increase energy, etc.  Shallow breathing, the kind that is prevalent during grief , fills only the upper parts of the body with air.  The headaches, back pain, indigestion, and depression that plague us during the darkest days of grief might simply be our bodies crying out for oxygen.

Question of the Day:

1) How does grief affect you physically and emotionally?

No comments:

Post a Comment