Quote

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
~Isaiah 6:8 NIV
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
~Micah 6:8 NASB

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Currently Reading: Rhinoceros Success by Scott Alexander

While on vacation, I had some time to relax and read. I finished number 5 of my goal of 12 non-fiction books in a year. I know I need to start reading a little faster. Dave Ramsey requires all of his employees to read four different books; The Total Money Makeover, Who Moved my Cheese by Spencer Johnson, Rhinoceros Success by Scott Alexander, and QBQ - The Question Behind the Question by John G. Miller. I also started my next book on the way home, The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley. I will blog about it when I finish it.

I already read the first two that Dave requires and when I was looking through Steve’s cousin Meredith books in the room we were staying in, she had Rhinoceros Success. So I grabbed the book off the shelf and started reading it. It was really good reading material to bring with me on the hour and half train ride to New York City. I hadn't planned to read those 4 books first but I guess it's sorted happened that way so far. The only one I have left it QBQ, which i own but haven't read yet.


Rhinoceros Success by Scott Alexander
In this world, there are cows and then there are rhinos. The cows graze in the pasture with the other cows, unwilling to take a chance at success, thinking that success only comes to those who are lucky, or that they just aren't cut out to be successful. Many live out their lives in fear, thinking they can never accomplish anything, so they never try.

The rhinos, on the other hand, take charge. Focused and unafraid, thick-skinned and unstoppable, they take massive action toward accomplishing their dreams and goals. They understand that success is there for the taking, if only one brings to bear the right training, mindset and work ethic.

It was a really short fun book, about 200 pages. The basic premise of the book was to be a “go-getter.” Don’t just let life happen to you, but happen to it. I know I have trouble with that sometimes. I know I have skills, but sometimes I am afraid to step out of my comfort zone because I am too afraid that I will fail. Fear of failure is probably one of my biggest weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment