Quote

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
~Isaiah 6:8 NIV
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
~Micah 6:8 NASB

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Biggest Loser and Healthy Snacks: Banana Bread

My friends and I have started a Biggest Loser Contest. It should be a fun competition. I'm usually pretty competitive. :0) Steve and I have been getting up early morning since we started and walking around the block before work. Well, except for yesterday, I stayed in bed and he walked by himself because I didnt feel good. I did walk today though. I got a Workout Video called Sweating in the Spirit from the Library on Tuesday. It's like Sweating to the Oldies but to Gospel Music. It was really hard. I didnt realize what bad shape I was in and apparently I'm not very coordinated. I had trouble keeping up with the moves. Maybe if I do it enough I'll get better.

Our group has decided it would be to create a cookbook or collection of healthy recipes.
Here is the first installment. I found this website when I was searching online.
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Healthy-Snacks-Banana-Bread/Detail.aspx <--Here is where I found it

Healthy Snacks: Banana Bread
By: Mackenzie Schieck
Just like the bananas themselves, kids come in bunches when the smell of banana bread is in the air. No monkeyin' around--banana bread is a healthy snack that's sweet, just the way kids like it--but it won't have them swinging from the trees (just the way parents like it).

Need a Snack?
This quick bread packs a healthy potassium punch and is easy to make. Just a handful of simple items to mix together, and talk about a last-minute treat--what other baked good is actually better when the main ingredient has been sitting around for awhile?
Ways to serve it up:
* Bake a loaf fresh for the week, then slice as you go.
* Bake several loaves and freeze, pulling them out as needed. (Muffins and quick breads can be frozen for up to three months.)
* Slice loaves and freeze servings individually (wrap each in cellophane, then in a resealable plastic bag). Kids can grab one from the freezer in the morning for a snack if they are going straight from school to an after-school activity.

Lower Fat Banana Bread II
Submitted by: KatieRated: 4 out of 5 by 149 members
Prep Time: 15 MinutesCook Time: 1 Hour
Ready In: 1 Hour 15 MinutesYields: 12 servings
"Tender and flavorful banana bread with a minimum of fat."

INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs
2/3 cup white sugar
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup applesauce
1/3 cup nonfat milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray a bread pan with non-stick cooking spray, and lightly dust with flour.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in bananas, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture, mixing just until blended. Fold in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated pan until golden and a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour. Turn bread out onto a wire rack and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment