Quote

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
~Isaiah 6:8 NIV
"He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
~Micah 6:8 NASB

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

10 Things Tuesday: Colossians 1

It is interesting to me how God brings people today.

For today's 10 Things Tuesday, I am going to pick out 10 takeaways from this weeks Bible Study. We had our first online chat session last night and it was a great way to end my birthday. One of the members of the online group, decided last week that she wanted to start a Bible Study, so those that wanted to participate started studying Colossians. I'm so glad that she did.

These are a strong and exceptional group women with all different faith walks and similar but different life experiences. None of us know each other in real life, as far as I know, but we all came together. This is not an online group that one would voluntarily join, but together we are taking our next steps towards Christ.

The Christian walk is a journey with bumps along the way. God never promised that the Christian life would be easy. He just promised that if you trust in Him that He holds the future.

1. We are asking God to fill us "with the knowledge of His will" through "spiritual wisdom and understanding." (vs. 9)
2. Why was Paul thankful and praying for the Colossians? Because they had heard of their faith in Christ and their love for the saints. (vs. 4)  This is encouraging for me to think we belong to a body of believers that regularly prays for us and I hope they see "our great faith and love," even when it's difficult.
3. We need understanding, so we can "live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way." (vs. 10)

How do we get "understanding?"  We have to wait until God reveals it to us.  There are things that happen that we won't understand until we get to Heaven.  I find comfort in knowing the God sees the future, but I find myself waiting to know NOW.
4. We are being "strengthened with His power...so we might have endurance and patience, and joyfully give thanks to the Father. (vs. 11)

When was the last time I used patience and joyful in the same sentence?  I want so much for things to happen on my time table.  I had a plan.  I can't do this without His strength.  I haven't' found complete joy, but have found joy in knowing God has a plan and His plan is better than mine.
5. I think that is really the summary of this whole chapter.  We need God's understanding and wisdom, so we can strengthened with His power when the troubling times come, so we can endurance them with patience and joy. 
6. "For He rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the love." (vs 13)
These past few months, I know that I felt the darkness and it does bring me joying knowing He "rescued" me and He continues to rescue me.
7. God created all things, "in Heaven and on Earth."  All things were created by him and for him. (vs. 16)
Why would God create something, just to take it away? 
8. There has to be plan. God knew before I was born everything that was going to happen to me. With God there are no accidents. Proverbs16:9 says In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
9.  He knew the hairs on our head, He knit us together, He knew it all, and I pray that I can look back one day and see how God used this group. What was the purpose?  What are we being prepared for?

10. "To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery , which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. (vs. 27)

Which joy of the spirit is your strongest? weakest? (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control from Galatians 5:22-23)

I know have room to grow in all of these. I don't any are particularly strong, especially right now. My strongest is probably faithfulness. I don't like to give up on people. My weakest right are definitely joy and patience. I want to feel joy knowing God is in control, but I want it to happen NOW, so patience is hard. I'm trying to find joy in ALL circumstances, (I Thes 5:18, James 1:2) but it is not always easy, especially when feel like you have nothing left.

Does having joy in all circumstances mean that you now happy about what happened and that you are no longer sad or hurting? No, because joy and happiness do not mean the same thing. Happiness comes and goes often depending on circumstances, but joy is from God. Even in the darkest days, when sadness, grief, and loss may threaten to overwhelm you, God’s joy is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment